[CQ-Contest] SCOURGES CONTINUED

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SCOURGES CONTINUED
From: n6tj@sbcglobal.net (James Neiger)
Date: Sat Jun 14 14:22:34 2003
Rather harsh words, I believe, from K1TTT, and since I am known world-wide
for my moderate views, and diplomatic skills, please allow me to make one
more comment on this subject.

For those that wrote to me individually, thank you, and perhaps K1TTT
doesn't give a hoot for N7MAL's opinions, but let me just add that Mal is
not alone, based upon comments received here.

And comments addressed to the public reflector from:

CT1BOH  (my dear friend and student):
(paraphrasing here)  "packet is good because it causes BIG pileups for me
and I wouldn't generate these outrageous QSO counts from P40E"

and K1TTT:

(again paraphrasing) "packet is good because it causes BIG score totals for
the Beetle Valley Radio Club, of which I am a proud member".

While these may appear, superficially, to be admirable goals, are not we
maybe overlooking the fact that these individualistic goals can be deemed to
be VERY SELFISH when considered within the overall context of ham radio,
operating skills, and whatever legacy we leave for the next generation of
operators (assuming that there IS a next generation, of course)?

VERY SELFISH, I say, because to help ourselves to a bigger score, we are
directly encouraging (1) BAD MANNERS by packeteers, in that they do not even
need to know the callsign of whom they are calling (just read whatever the
packet screen says) (Mal's point of just what contesting skill is employed
here?), and further (2) if the packet screen displays a BUSTED CALL (which,
sad to say, happens frequently), more BAD MANNERS as this call does not show
that you may be calling a station that you've already worked (ZD8Z has
worked K1TTT, but because a fellow Beetle Valley Radio Club member has
spotted ZD7Z, oh boy, K1TTT says, "thanks for the new multiplier, Homer,
beer's on me at the next club meeting").  But now ZD8Z has duped K1TTT, lost
points, lost time, and I say VERY BAD MANNERS on the part of K1TTT, because
he simply didn't take the time to independently verify that it was '8Z and
not '7Z.

Of course, I am sure that K1TTT and every other packeteer is going to
say,"oh, that could NEVER happen with me, because I ALWAYS independently
verify the call before calling".  To which I say "BRAVO SWANNEE"!

Eliminating the need to develop Morse Code skills was bad enough.  And now,
we are fostering a generation of unskilled operators who, because of packet
teaching you that YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO FIND YOUR OWN DX, and YOU DON'T
EVEN NEED TO COPY THE CALLSIGN of DX that someone else FOUND for you.

THIS is what you guys want to promote??

Jim Neiger  N6TJ