[CQ-Contest] Recordings and Log Corrections

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Recordings and Log Corrections
From: vr2bg@harts.org.hk (VR2BrettGraham)
Date: Fri Jul 18 01:57:00 2003
I too found it interesting to read in the latest NCJ about the Dayton
Contest Forum discussion on recording.

Let me say up front that I increasingly record myself.

I have yet to go through an entire weekend's recording after the fact.  I
use it for the very few instances where I have a suspicion about what I'd
logged for an exchange - situations like where the zone a UA4 or UA9
sent didn't seem right.

I don't recall actually changing something after listening to the recording.
This is probably because for these & other contacts which I've noted in the
log as being potentially suspect I've already spent a fair amount of time to
log it right to begin with.

I do use the recordings quite a bit to go back after I get the results of log
checking, which increasingly shows that I indeed busted whatever it is that
they say I busted.  For last years ARRL 10m, the recordings suggest that
all my NILs were for Qs that weren't in the least bit dodgy to have logged,
so when I get the moment & provided I can contact the stations involved,
perhaps I can learn something from that, too.

I suppose recordings can be abused like other things, but I feel that those
that do things like this are probably not likely to be serious competition
to begin with, as is often the case with other ways of cheating.

73, VR2BrettGraham