[CQ-Contest] massaging the logs

Subject: [CQ-Contest] massaging the logs
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Sat Jul 19 16:22:19 2003
Just because a rule may be unenforceable doesn't mean it has no value. Many
rules are completely unenforceable yet are valued by honorable operators as
guidelines to operating in an ethical manner. (I mean, how many stations of
a certain Mediterranean country really are running only 400 watts? Does that
mean that rules demanding compliance with national regulations are void?)

Post-contest corrections based on real-time notes (you realized as you hit
enter that the call was KR2Q, not KR23Q but your rate was such you couldn't
edit it then so you left yourself a note) are not wrong. The note you left
yourself is a part of the log. (Catching KR23Q while reading the log later
is also only finding a valid typo. I wouldn't consider changing it then to
be wrong, either. This ain't typing class, folks.)

If the sponsors don't wish honorable operators to record their contests and
use the recordings for post-contest cheating, they should say so, regardless
of whether the rule is enforceable.

73, kelly
ve4xt