[CQ-Contest] In time out?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] In time out?
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Wed Jul 23 21:42:14 2003
K1IR has switched from upgrading his antennas to his shack, now...the
following advice was offered up"

"Last thing, if at all possible, put the shack in a corner of the
basement."

...was it bad?

Most of the suggestions for station design I have seen have been very
good (no flourescents or carpet to drive you nuts, etc).

I personally like being able to get behind the desk easily a LOT.  It is
not something you do frequently but being able to do it frequently
without any hassle is SO nice... wanna try moving the gear around - no
biggee - it is easy to get at!

Try to keep things as flexible as possible - use like cabling for like
projects.  I has a "universal" 6 pin Jones plug system for all my rotor
control boxes and station accessories like coax switches/stackmatches...
since everything has the same plug if one box goes bad you can swap to
another rapidly - example, the 20 meter antenna stack box goes on the
fritz and it is the only producing band... unplug the 10 meter control
cable, plug in the 20, move the coaxes over and dedicate one 10 meter
antenna versus pickup them since 10 is dead... 5 minutes tops versus a
half hour or more without disco - plugs.

It is also easy to add to the station when you go this route - say you
wanna set up a second operating position and do a small multi-single...
you can make up "extension" cables that allow that control box to move
12 feet (or however far) over to that temp desk...

I still wanna know what the shack did wrong that is in time out in the
corner...

Jim, K4OJ