[CQ-Contest] In time out?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] In time out?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu Jul 24 08:17:53 2003
At 08:42 PM 7/23/03 -0400, Jim White, K4OJ wrote:
>I has a "universal" 6 pin Jones plug system for all my rotor control boxes
>and station accessories like coax switches/stackmatches... since
>everything has the same plug if one box goes bad you can swap to another
>rapidly - example, the 20 meter antenna stack box goes on the fritz and it
>is the only producing band... unplug the 10 meter control cable, plug in
>the 20, move the coaxes over and dedicate one 10 meter antenna versus
>pickup them since 10 is dead... 5 minutes tops versus a half hour or more
>without disco - plugs.

I don't know if others' experience is similar to mine, but I have had a lot
of trouble with Jones Plugs going "flakey."  Both new and surplus plugs
seem to have a tendency, in my rotator disconnect panel, to go intermittent
on one or more conductor, causing erratic rotator operation or indicator
function.  I have coped, for the most part by using Caig ProGold to improve
the connection quality, but for this reason I am going to try another
approach on my next antenna switch -- I am going to use an 8-pin DIN plug
and panel-mount socket.  To my surprise, these little plug/socket
combinations have contacts rated at 1 Amp at ~100 volts DC, which should be
plenty for my TopTen relay switchboxes that draw only about 30 ma. per
relay.  They are also a lot more compact than the Jones plugs, and it is a
lot easier to drill a 1/2" round hole than a rectangular one.  I've never
heard of anyone else using these in this service, so only time will tell if
the plug and socket are adequately durable.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 17 June 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm