[CQ-Contest] If You Don't QSL, LISTEN UP!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] If You Don't QSL, LISTEN UP!
From: k9yo@cedrick.net (K9YO-Cedrick Johnson)
Date: Mon Aug 4 20:09:46 2003
I understand some of the concerns you've listed, but let me take the
opposing viewpoint here.

During a contest, some stations can rack up a large number of QSO's.
Instead of printing 1500 or 2000 qsl's and waiting, they decide to wait
until someone sends them a card. BUT....

Most people have lives. They have work. They have a wife and kids. They
have to fix their houses, etc. There are PLENTY of other things to do
BESIDES radio. If it came to the point where I couldn't QSL for 3 months
because I had too many family commitments, I'd do the family. Radio
falls
to the bottom of my priority list. So, I get to qsl 2 times a year. Jan
and June.

If you send me a card in June, I won't reply until Jan. That's when I
make time
for ham radio qsl'ing.

Once a contest is over, they have to get back with their lives. So it
may take
them a while to respond to qsl's. It has taken me 2 years to reply to
some
qsl's, and I'm not the least bit ashamed of it. I have other things to
do. I'm
sure the majority of hams have something other and BETTER to do than
mail out
cards, etc.

Also, given the current state of the economy, what if that ham cannot
AFFORD QSL
cards at this time. Yeah, when you're unemployed, you GO CRAZY sitting
at home, so
you get in a contest. But, some people are unemployed for a long bit of
time. The
unemployment goes to: take care of the house/car, wife, children,
electricity to
operate the radio for a contest, etc. If faced with the decision to feed
myself
or buy QSL cards, I'd choose to feed myself!

So many variables. I personally think that ham radio today is too darned
serious.
You guys need to lighten up and stop taking things so doggone serious.
Sheesh!

-yo

If you wanna lighten up, join me for a party one weekend here in W9 :)