RE: [CQ-Contest] SO2R boxes

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] SO2R boxes
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 11:08:29 -0400
   I am using the W5XD Multi-keyer+ SO2R box (and WriteLog).  I can't compare
them to the other commercial boxes on the market since
I've never tried them.  The W5XD box worked perfectly right away and was easy
to set-up.

   I think the W5XD box is unique in several respects:

1)  Nothing sits on the desktop!  There are no lights or manual controls that
the operator must manipulate during the contest.  This
was very appealing to me: less distractions and desktop clutter.

   W5XD accomplishes this by running the box under software control from the
logging PC.  For headphones, one may choose to:
   -- listen to just one radio or split: a menu selection which can be
accelerated with a keyboard macro.
   -- run in "latch" mode, which places both ears on the radio that is NOT
transmitting at the moment.  Ctl-X switches latch mode on
or off.

   Microphone, key, and pre-programmed messages are transmitted on the radio
with the transmit focus in WriteLog.  No switches to
throw.

2)  Doesn't consume any additional COM ports.  The commands to the W5XD box are
sent over one of the COM ports used for radio
control.

3)  Will key the PTT line of the appropriate radio N milliseconds before
transmission begins to allow cold-switching of amplifier,
etc.  N is selected by the user in WriteLog.

4)  Works fine when the computer is off.  The box simply remembers its last
configuration and that is what you hear.  Step on the
footswitch or hit the key and transmission begins.

5)  Includes a little box with a knob and switch, the "CW remote" control.
Mine lives on my CW key.  The switch allows you to force
the paddle to either the left or right radio, in case you want to send on a
radio different from the WriteLog's transmit focus is
indicating (or the PC is off).  The knob allows you to change the CW keying
speed (either for manual sending or pre-programmed
message sending).  The knob and WriteLog's SpeedUp/SpeedDown keyboard commands
work seamlessly together.

   If one is using WriteLog software, then the W5XD box is the way to go for
SO2R control.

-- Eric K3NA