Re: [CQ-Contest] LoTW question

To: K4SB <k4sb@earthlink.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LoTW question
From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:42:02 -0600

Their idiotic rules for registering are hurting a lot of DX stations.
I simply fail to understand why a key could not be obtained by a robot
reply to the station sending the
request.

Because that does not provide any proof that the originator of the request is who they claim to be. No form of email or web sign-up can do this. This is one of the fundamental concepts of security. Any (good) introductory text on computer security will explain this.

After all, we do that with our reflectors.

No, that's not what's happening. Mailing list subscription validation is a weak attempt to prevent simple subscription spoofing using third-party addresses. It in no way authenticates the originator of the message.

--lyndon