Re: [CQ-Contest] Texas QSO Party

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Texas QSO Party
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:49:03 EDT
In a message dated 9/29/2003 10:33:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
k5iid@earthlink.net writes:

> Out of 363 QSOs, 261 were mobiles.
> Watch out CA, FL, PA...the Texans are on the
> march!

I doubt that you will see very many mobiles in this weekend's CQP, a state
dominated by mountains. You see, their highway department chose to build most
of
the roads in the valleys BETWEEN the mountains. Obviously they were not hams.

When I first moved to Nevada six years ago, K7BV and I did try to replicate
the TQP by going mobile for CQP. He and I are pioneers of the Great Armadillo
Runs and hoped to continue our race from county to county in Northern CA. HAH!
What an exercise in futility, trying to operate from valley floors in mountain
ranges, then, spending hours winding up mountain roads at 25MPH. Not exactly
the pedal-to-the-metal we were used to in TX.

What you will see is lots of activity from every County this weekend. Me, I
am going to operate from home, 20 miles from the CA border in another exercise
in masochism to capture a bottle of wine.

Tom, K5RC
aka W7RN
Virginia City NV