RE: [CQ-Contest] SS phone

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] SS phone
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 17 Nov 2003 09:01:20 -0600
On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 23:25, K0HB wrote:
> I'm glad someone else noticed!  I've always kinda wondered if "one-way
> skip" was real, but this weekend made a believer out of me.  On all bands,
> but it seemed especially on 20, I had many instances where guys with HUGE
> signals couldn't even seem to hear me when I put a full-legal signal right
> at them.  This seemed most prevalent with signals from the NE.  One W1 was
> an honest 10-over-9 and CQ'd in my face for at least a minute before I got
> his attention.  I wondered if some of those Greenies had climbed my tower
> and substituted a cantenna for my TH7!

I've sure heard enough reports of one-way propagation to believe it,
but...

I can also think of some other reasons for loud stations to CQ in your
face..

- QRM was intense.
- He had some kind of equipment or operator failure - maybe had the SO2R
box stuck to listen on the wrong radio, or bumped the SPLIT button, or
something like that.
- Restroom break.

I suppose #2 and #3 would be unlikely to affect enough stations to cause
this to be observed in general.  With 10 not much good though, I
wouldn't be at all surprised if QRM made copy difficult.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66