RE: [CQ-Contest] several contesting questions

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] several contesting questions
From: "Hanlon, Steve" <SHanlon@dnr.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:51:51 -0500
thanks for all the feedback on my questions.  when asking about what makes a
contest radio, i was looking more for features that make contesting easier, not
that i was looking to replace the 746PRO.  basically, why is one radio used
more by contesters than another.  slecetivity seems to be the most given reason.

my plan is to work with the 746PRO for a season of contesting and see what i
like and dislike and go from there.  i'm not sure how to use the features i
have and still haven't figured out all the in's and outs of what makes the
features worth having.  i'm sure i'll look back at this time in my contesting
history and laugh, but everyone has to start at the bottom.

as for frequencies, some good tid bits where brought up.  knowing the band
plans of other countries would be wise, esp. in a DX contest.  if VY can't go
up to where i'm S&P'ing, i'll never get a VK QSO.

i'm going to record a large portion of my "education" and put together a
contesting primer.  i have done this for other hobbies to use as a reference
and i think i'll need one for sure during a contest.  i have a laptop that i'll
simulate a contest with over the weekend on 6m and see how i like the software.
 next will be getting the rig connected to the computer.

for the record, my game plan is to get the 756PROII when they will be more
affordable to me on the used market and use the 746PRO as the backup/2nd radio.

the weather is incredible today here in the Baltimore area.  i might have to
put up the inverted vee this weekend just to be outside.  i already raked the
leaves...

-steve hanlon
KB3KAQ