[CQ-Contest] dupes

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] dupes
From: Jim Fitzpatrick <jhfitzpa@wiscmail.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 13:19:51 -0600
I duped a few stations this weekend, maybe 5 or 6.

Most of them were due to me mistyping the station's callsign in the call field the second time I worked them. And of course they come up as not having been worked before. So I think some of this duping is not as malignant as it might seem to some.

One other was when I worked a guy a second time after he had not signed his call for several minutes, just threw my call in there hoping he might be a country mult (he was from a fairly rare zone). This is a whole other issue. Folks like Jose P40E, Jeff KP3Z and Jim ZD8Z sign their call after every QSO and consistently come out on top. What are these others who seldom sign trying to accomplish ? They are certainly not being more efficient, and they just are making people mad. They lose QSOs from those who move on in frustration, some of whom may be mults for them, and dupe a lot of others when they could be working someone new.

I played around in WW Phone for a couple of hours just DXing. The best moment was when I came across a zone 33 station who was working a large pileup at a fairly good rate without signing his call. I was fascinated and actually timed him working stations without signing for 4 (that's FOUR) full minutes. I didn't count, but he must have worked at least 20 stations. So I threw my call in there a few times and he came back to me, "WI9WI 59 33." I said, "59 04, and give me your call, I don't have packet." He came back laughing and told me. It was the CN2.

73 to all

Jim WI9WI (the other WI)

--------------------------------------------------------------- The world's top contesters battle it out in Finland! THE OFFICIAL FILM of WRTC 2002 now on professional DVD and VHS! http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~jamesb/ ---------------------------------------------------------------