[CQ-Contest] Contest Conflict

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Conflict
From: "Jamie Dupree" <2003@jdupree.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:03:25 -0500
The observation of Jim, K1PX is a good one - that the Jan VHF & CQ 160
contests
do conflict this year...and can we avoid such a contest double in the
future.

The big change is that the NFL has moved the Super Bowl back one week, to
the
first Sunday in February, from the final Sunday in January.

The Jan VHF contest has been scheduled for the week before the Super Bowl
(usually an off week in the NFL playoffs) - helping to avoid TVI, etc.

This year's Super Bowl is on Feburary 1st.   In 2005, the Super Bowl is on
February 6th, again placing the Jan VHF and CQ 160 on the same weekends.
The story is the same in 2006 (Feb 5 Super Bowl) and 2007 (Feb 4th game.)

So unless something is changed, it would seem that this contest conflict -
albeit on very different ham radio frequencies - will continue for a few
more years.

Jamie NS3T

-----------------

K1PX wrote:

I'm looking for some insight, NOT blame, regarding the ARRL VHF Sweepstakes
and CQ 160 CW
contest occurring the same weekend - Jan 24 to 26.

My understanding is that the VHF contest occurs the weekend before the Super
Bowl and the
CQ160 contest is the last full weekend of the month.

This year, the Super Bowl is the following weekend on Feb. 1st. I don't
recall that a February
date for the Super Bowl has occurred before.

Many of my friends who operate 160 and VHF contests don't understand how
this might
happen. We recognize that no one is in charge or responsible for such
schedules between
the various organizations but certainly would want to, if anyway possible,
avoid this type
of situation again.

Any thoughts?

73, Jim, K1PX