RE: [CQ-Contest] 10M NAQP Weirdness

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] 10M NAQP Weirdness
From: "Matt" <aa7bg@3rivers.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:17:33 -0700
I remember hearing some discussion of a LDEs on 160 meters a few years ago.
I thought it sounded very strange until I experienced it on that band. The
delay was at least one second.

Of course, I have freqently heard my own echos via scatter, but the echo
return is quite a bit less than a second I would say.

I wonder what is going on with these longer echos. Only thing I can think of
is the return of signals trapped between a couple layers of the ionosphere.
They must eventually find a hole after ping-ponging back and forth manifold
times and come back home and land on our antennas.

I think there may be some info or at least discussion of LDEs in the
archives. Don't know if anything conclusive was ever put forth.

CU,

Matt--K7BG