Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: LONG DELAY ECHOES

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: LONG DELAY ECHOES
From: "David L. Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:44:57 -0500
One of the early articles on LDE's was by W6QYT who was a PHD at Stanford.
He prined his article in a 1969 QST.  He listed some stations that heard
LDE's from the 1940's to 1969.  I seem to remember he distinguished between
multiple echos we hear at times on long path signals
(arriving from short path also) and real LDE's which are generally very weak
and are delayed by 2 to 6 seconds.

What was reported here is someone following around loud stations using a DVK
to record and play back their signal.  Good fun at first but annoying if
continued.  One prominent European operator has reported intential QRM (such
as tuning up or sending V's) in the CQ 160 tests.

Dave K4JRB.