Re: [CQ-Contest] 10M NAQP Weirdness

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 10M NAQP Weirdness
From: K4SB <k4sb@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 04:22:19 +0000
> Back in the late 60's I heard an LDE that had about a 10 second delay and
> was a repeat of everything I and the station I was working sent for about
> 3 minutes.  We were both pretty freaked out by it.  I've heard others,
> both longer and shorter delays, but nothing like that.  I wish I'd
> recorded it.
>
> 73, Zack W9SZ

OK, let's think about it. Radio waves travel at the speed of light,
and a 10 second delay would translate to about 1.86 billion miles
before it was again heard. That is approximately the distance to the
Planet Saturn, or assuming an Earth orbit, a complete round trip 7,410
times.

You could assume a large dish antenna with 50 db of gain, and a loss
of 1 db per trip, and the signal would be in the mud on the 148th
trip. That would leave approximately
7262 more trips around the Earth until it was received and heard. Not
to mention the vast improvements in receiver noise floor in over 40
years.

Tape recorders have been around for a long time. So has elementary
math. Recorders change with time, math doesn't.

In no way do I mean to doubt Zack's word about it, but it simply is
not possible as an LDE.

On my own recollection of received LDEs the longest I ever heard was
the letter B of my call at about 35 wpm, and that was also on 10
meters.

I leave it to someone else to figure the gain and power needed to
bounce a HF signal off Saturn, which is actually twice the distance.
Even our best orbiting telescopes are not capable of that.

73
Ed