Re: [CQ-Contest] Feb 04 QST op-ed article

To: K4ZW@Staffnet.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Feb 04 QST op-ed article
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:36:39 EST
In a message dated 1/19/04 5:16:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
K4ZW@Staffnet.com writes:

>   Why is it then that contest operators can manage to operate in this
> environment, working stations typically running 100 watts or less with
> dipoles or small beams, but other segments of the amateur population can't
> seem to cope?

Partly because we have a vastly different definition of "working".

"DL1XXX, that your callsign?....  Again?    OK, QSL the 5914.  Thanks, Kilo 8
Mike Radio, Contest?"

is not what much of the world considers a QSO.

I also believe that our (contesters' ) brains have been rewired to process
sound in a noisy, chaotic aural environment.

I find very interesting the neuroscience research on the ability of the brain
to adapt, and think that ours have adapted to listening to weak signals
amongst lots of QRM and QRN, in a way that those of non-contesting hams have
not.

It would be fascinating to see how the brains of contesters vs.
non-contesters vs. non-hams behave as they process chaotic sound information.
Anyone know
a grad student in need of a good project/thesis topic?   Anyone want to
volunteer to operate a contest while hooked up to a PET scan or the like?

73  -  Jim  K8MR