Re: [CQ-Contest] re: NAQP and the (midwest)(south)east coast

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] re: NAQP and the (midwest)(south)east coast
From: "Tom Baugh" <tombaugh@discoverynet.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:17:17 -0600
Don't kid yourselves Guys.....

There are distinct advantages in location in every contest. There are few
contests which "balance the playing field" (Stew Perry comes to mind)
Likewise there are few contesters that have the means to build great
stations. We lose focus when everything is to WIN! There will be one winner
in each contest. It will be the guy/gal who does the best in the best place
with favorable propagation and a point system which is at least equal if not
favorable to the rest of the field.

>>2) Operated from the Carribean... (ZF2NT)
>
> Ah, (let's not start the fracas again, but....) I don't think the
> Caribbean has an advantage for NAQP like it does for SS.  You still
> have to get all those multipliers and Q's per band rather than just
> sitting up on 10 meters being the only signal on the band in North
> America and working everyone one time.  Bruce was only slightly ahead
> on QSO's and was not the top multiplier finisher.  He has the high
> claimed score because he's sharp.  But he is in a dead heat with N6MJ
> for point total and the log checking is going to decide the winner this
> time.  Both of them (MJ and NT) could have finished 8th or 10th or
> something had it been a different weekend.  You never know

Bruce is a Top Op but the difference is that there is usually only ONE ZF
calling and 1,000's of people wanting his mult. There are hundreds of
Illinois's and NY's AND the propagation to ZF is just slightly better ; )
than that from Northern Minnesota. Heck Minnesota thinks Arkansas is DX!

In summary, There is always going to be a disparity. Enjoy the challenge and
compare your score to others with comparable stations and conditions. Take
pride in what you do and what you've learned or improved on over time and
learn to share in the enjoyment of other people's accomplishments as well.
We all get frustrated.. me too.. let's not lose focus of why we enjoy this
hobby.

73

Tom
AE9B