Re: [CQ-Contest] Secrets of Contesting, Chapter 14

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Secrets of Contesting, Chapter 14
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 10:44:53 -0600
Jim's admonition about not calling unless you know the ID of the station
you're calling only reiterates one of the fundamental principles of on-air
behaviour, contesting or otherwise. That it has generated such opposition is
astounding.

Jumping into a pileup when you don't know who you're calling is wrong. It's
called interference. It's made no less wrong by the perceived sin of not
IDing frequently. Two wrongs don't make a right.

(How is a pileup itself not interference? It's like pass interference in
football: If all the ops calling know who the other guy is, they're all
making plays for the ball. Any resulting bumping and grinding is just part
of the game. If one doesn't know the call, he isn't reaching for the ball,
he's just getting in the way.)

Generally, arrogant operators excepted, those at the centre of a pileup
choose to lessen the frequency of ID because they feel they have enough
operators in the pileup who know who they are. That it's an inconvenience
for you is of little consequence to them. In essence, they're like car
dealers selling every model they can get their hands on: if you don't want
to pay asking price, step aside, the thousand guys in line behind you will.

The best advice is this: if the DX isn't IDing frequently enough, get over
it. You aren't going to change his ways no matter how many CL? or "Your
call?" you fire at him.

Don't worry about losing the mult. Chances are good that if his pileup is
that big, he's going to be there a while. So put him in a Quick Mem and
worry more about the mults and Qs you're losing by fuming over his lack of
ID. Generally speaking, one mult is worth no more than another. Heard Island
is still just one country. So is Galapagos. On a busy band, you'll lose more
mults and Qs by waiting than one guy is worth. So don't sweat it. You're not
going to work 'em all anyway.

Kelly
ve4xt