Re: [CQ-Contest] Incomplete LoTW QSL Records, Worthless ???

To: R Johnson <k1vu@tmlp.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Incomplete LoTW QSL Records, Worthless ???
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 17:19:12 -0500
At 10:39 PM 2/4/04 -0500, R Johnson wrote:
Here is a breakdown of my 108 bad QSL's:
No Grid = 22
No County = 2
No County & Grid = 1
No ITU Zone = 11
No CQ Zone = 3
No ITU & CQ Zones = 56
No Grid & BOTH Zones = 5
No Grid & ITU Zone = 8

Note: I have no means (yet) of checking for missing IOTA data.

So what is the bottom line ???

I don't know, but as far as I can see these type of statistics tend to make LoTW
useless as far as being able to use LoTW QSL's for credit on awards other than the
ARRL DXCC, WAS and WAC Awards !!!

I wonder if this is really such a problem. For example, I just received a bunch of confirmations from a TK (Corsica) station. Surely, any interface between LotW and the CQ awards system, would be smart enough to know what CQ and ITU zones Corsica is in. I grant you, there are some cases where the prefix doesn't tell you the zone, and it certainly doesn't tell you the grid, but the country.dat files we use do a pretty darned good job, and similar tables could be used, with somewhat more conservative rules, to guide decisions on whether to grant zone credit for a given QSO.

Why not wait and see how big a problem this *really* is?

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database
Updated 9 Jan 04
www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm