Re: [CQ-Contest] More Sprints

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] More Sprints
From: Jeff Stai WK6I <wk6i@twistedoak.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:44:10 -0800
At 05:10 AM 2/11/2004, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
>1. I don't get the idea of doing it on 6 10 and 15. I want to work a Sprint
>with some rate, not a VHF contest. There's some consistency with propagation
>on the currently used bands....de K7SV
>
>I agree.  Lots of guys do not have 6 meter set ups.  With the upcoming dip in
>sunspots, 10 would be pretty boring.

The idea was to run this one during a time when sporadic E propagation would be
likely - there's no reason for it to be boring: you have the added enjoyment of
riding the capricious winds of propagation....

If all you want is rate, use the RTTY rule that allows working a station more
than once per band.

Lots of guys do not have 80 meter setups either, but somehow we don't have a
problem running a Sprint there. I would submit that creating a 6m setup is a
LOT easier than creating an 80m setup. A two or three element yagi on 6m is a
piece of cake to build, or you can buy one for around $100, maybe less. Two ten
foot poles from radio shack and you are on the air - add a cheap TV rotator if
you want to get fancy.

And BTW: sometimes propagation stinks on 80m. We whine about it, sure, but we
don't stop trying!-)

73 - jeff wk6i

--
Jeff Stai               jds@twistedoak.com