Re: [CQ-Contest] M/S band change rule in ARRL DX?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] M/S band change rule in ARRL DX?
From: "Bob Naumann - N5NJ" <n5nj@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 06:36:00 -0600
N6XI Said:

> M/S band change restrictions such as ARRL's create a lame category in
> which the scoring potential for multiple operators in a given time span
> is lower than the scoring potential for one operator. This because one
> operator can chase mults to heart's content, especially if equipped for
> SO2R, but two or more ops are constrained by the band change limitation
> even if only one op is in control of the station (or even present in the
> building!) at a time. Recognizing this idiocy,

When trying to work multi-single in the ARRL test a few years ago, I realized
how frustrating this is since even though I was the only person operating at
the time, I could not utlize the capabilities of the station in the same manner
as if I was a single op.

Even so, the rules are there to prevent stations in this category from
operating in a manner that would other wise be described as multi-multi.

Many multi-single stations have gotten used to the CQ "model" of mults on other
bands all the time.  But, how do you guard against the various methods of
cheating that occur in this category?

In my opinion, the CQ version is essentially out of control.  The ARRL version
is too controlled.

I think there needs to be a happy medium, where only one person operates at a
time - period.  No second operator at any point in time.  No second through 6th
rigs with other operators scanning for multipliers.

A real multi-single, where multiple operators act as one operator, including
SO2R activities etc.  One guy operates, when he's done someone else sits down
and operates.  Multiple operators, operating as if they were a single operator:
multi-single!  Seems obvious to me.

73,
Bob N5NJ