RE: [CQ-Contest] 67 spots

To: <eric@k3na.org>, "'Kenneth E. Harker'" <kharker@cs.utexas.edu>,"'CQ Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] 67 spots
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:50:35 -0000
The comment was not directed at w3lpl spotting...

W3lpl made 2064 spots (that made it to my node anyway) over the weekend,
a truly heroic spotting effort to be sure.  But their most frequently
spotted station was j6dx who they spotted 24 times.  Probably not bad
for 6 bands spotting as often as they scan across them, minus dupes that
the nodes remove automatically in most cases.

The comment was most likely aimed at w3df who spotted fs5uq 67 times
over the weekend... and only made 142 spots total.  He ranked tops on my
'cheerleader' category.

The second place station in that category was k8nd who spotted pj2t 49
times, out of a total input of 58 spots.  (actually a higher percentage
if I had ranked them that way).

Third place went to es1a who spotted himself 29 times out of 35 total
spots sent.

Fourth was wx3b who tied with w3lpl's 24 spot peak by spotting fs5uq 24
times out of his 111 spots.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net

Sunday
> afternoon where his weak signal will be unchallenged.
>    c)  Sending those spots keeps the searching operator alert and
> disciplined.  A good searching operator tunes constantly with one
> hand on the radio dial, one hand over the keyboard ... constantly
typing
> calls, checking the bandmap for missed and inaccurate
> entries, and punching the Alt-F3/Enter commands to send out those
spots...
> and may spot as many as 100 stations an hour.  This is
> not an idle search around the band while waiting your turn on the
running
> radio -- it's a discipline as demanding as that practiced
> by the running operator in the chair next to you.  Never stop
tuning...
> never stop keeping the club informed... and, every few
> minutes, you will discover a NEW station who wasn't there ten minutes
ago.
> Of course, you work him first, and then spot!
>
>    That dedication to supporting the club is one of the practices that
> makes the W3LPL a great team.  And yes, it also generates
> 6000+ spots to the spotting network, a benefit not just for PVRC
members
> but all other multi-op and assisted operators.
>
>    Why would PVRC let all those juicy spots flow out over the network
> every other competing club?  In part because it's good for
> contesting: anything to encourage activity in the contest by others is
> beneficial to our hobby in the long run.  Also in part
> because PVRC benefits from spots made by all the other contesters and
> members of other contesting clubs -- tens of thousands -- an
> example of receiving back from the collective community more than one
can
> possibly offer.  And in part because we believe that it's
> not information that determines the winners of a contest -- it's what
the
> operator does with the information.
>
>    -- Eric K3NA

Harker