Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL CW DX, J6DX Pwr??

To: jukka.klemola@nokia.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL CW DX, J6DX Pwr??
From: "Alan C. Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:24:30 -0800
Jukka,

OK, I guess I am not making myself clear.  Maybe I didn't state the
situation clearly in my first question.  We are mixing apples and
oranges here.  I would like to present to you two different scenarios:

Scenario number 1:  I ask if someone was able to copy the suffix of
the J6 station heard during the contest because I was not able to
copy it.  THIS WOULD BE WRONG BUT THIS IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED.

Scenario number 2:  As an airborne Radio Operator in the USCG I decide
it would be nice to get a Ham license.  So I get my license and enter
my first Ham CW contest.  During the contest exchange several stations
send GL at the end of their contact.  USCG CW Radio Ops don't send GL
to each other at the end of their transmissions so I don't know what
it means.  I get on a reflector like this and ask what does GL at the
end of the contact mean.  I copy the GL all right, I just don't know
what it means or why the other guy is sending it to me.  Is it
cheating to ask this question?  I don't think so.  OK, J6DX was
sending the letter C or two letter N's run together for his power.
I could copy it just fine, I just didn't know what it means.
Is it cheating to ask what power reading does the letter C represent?
I don't think so.  I am asking for the meaning of an abbreviation
I do not recognize, just as if he was sending 73, 88, 99, TU, NNN,
TTT, CUL, etc, and did not know what these terms meant.  What's
dishonest about that?  Of course I will leave in the log what I heard,
it's just nice to have an idea what it represents.

jukka.klemola@nokia.com wrote:

> No offence taken but if this starts to get epidemic so everybody
> asks the contest exchanges outside the contest, that is not
> in our target setting for the hobby...
>
> Contest rules say when the contest ends .. it ended
> before this email was sent.
> Also, rules state where the QSOs are to be held, that
> is on the radio.
> Not on the net.
>
> 73,
> Jukka OH6LI

                                     Alan Zack
                     Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
                         Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
          Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
                               SEMPER PARATUS