Re: [CQ-Contest] Lost leading 'dit' - summary

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Lost leading 'dit' - summary
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:18:55 -0600 (CST)
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Stuart Santelmann KC1F wrote:

> > Look at cars - again, great when new, but how many of the Japanese
> products
> > really last?  Some can, but the body won't last long enough - for most,
> there
> > is always some shortcoming.  In the Japan, there is essentially nothing
> like
> > a four-year-or-older car as they get rid of them as the gov't taxes them
> > off the
> > road for fear they're unsafe (they go so nuts in repairing crashed cars
> that
> > crashed cars never get repaired).  Same products get sold to export
> markets -
> > maybe with stronger bumpers, more emission controls, but the platform is
> the
> > same & is meant to be thrown away.
> >

> I have a 1989 Honda Civic bought new, and still running fine with 360,000
> miles.  Original engine, original clutch.  It has some minor rust after 15
> New Hampshire winters.  It's the most reliable car I've ever owned.  It
> survived being hit by a Chrysler minivan that was totalled in the process.
> My wife's '89 Accord has 200,000 miles.  At one point my entire program at
> work had Hondas.  My inlaws own Hondas.  My daddy and my granddaddy owned
> Hondas (just kidding).  I'd buy Honda ham radios if they made them.  I'd buy
> a Honda wife if they made one !
>
>             Over...                Stu            KC1F

Well, do you have a Honda generator?  :-)

I've had similar luck with my 1988 Toyota Corolla SR-5.  It has 280,000
miles on it, has the original engine and clutch; I've done some
repairs/replacements on it but nothing really major (carb rebuild, exhaust
system replacement, alternator, etc).

I'm hoping the newer Toyotas are as good as this older one. It has a lot
of room for its size, too.  I get 10 bands packed into it for QRP-portable
operations in VHF+ contests.

73, Zack W9SZ