Re: [CQ-Contest] Response to K5ZD's Comments

To: CQ-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Response to K5ZD's Comments
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:56:29 EST
In a message dated 3/15/04 10:39:03 AM Pacific Standard Time, K1ZM@aol.com
writes:

> Pse see my reply to VA3DX on the exact same subject - YES - I would support
> additional classes as long as the sponsors are willing to manage them.

With logs and results reduced to electronic files, it is not necessary for
the sponsors to manage other awards.  They would just have to cooperate with
those who want to sponsor other "subset" awards.  These subset awards might be
sponsored and mangaged by various contest clubs, national societies, AARP, etc.

> I think the 48 hour flavor worldwide DX contest (WW and/or ARRL DX) is the
> TOUGHEST category in contesting today and it really is the GOLD STANDARD in
> DX
> contesting - it would be a shame to dilute it.

The 48 hour contests are the toughest, but do not necessarily pick those with
the greatest skills.  I would submit that the 4 hour North American Sprint
better identifies skill under normal (i.e. not sleep deprived) conditions.
Certainly it does so if one does not factor in geographic differences in the
results of the DX contests.

> But, additional flavors for those who might like to participate in them -
> sure!  That's  not a bad idea at all.  If it adds activity and makes it more
> FUN
> for more people, then that is a good thing.

I'm all for people choosing to compare and reward scores by whatever criteria
they choose.  However I'd not want the official sponsors to create classes
with time limits. I'd hate to be waiting in a pileup 11 years from now when 75
year old ZD8Z announces that his 24 hours ran out and he was going QRT.

73  -  Jim   K8MR