RE: [CQ-Contest] How do you count 24 hours out of 48?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] How do you count 24 hours out of 48?
From: "K1ZA John" <k1za@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:53:41 -0500
Howdy! K1ZA here - (ex NJ1V).

This subject if very interesting to me. In May I will turn 65, and am
planning my retirement for this summer, moving from Massachusetts to the
Texas Hill Country to build our retirement home on five acres that we own
there.

I have been inactive for the last five years, since moving to Mass from
Houston in 1999. Prior to that I was somewhat active, but no where near as
much as I was when we lived in Oklahoma from 1990 through 1995.

I am anxious to get back into contesting, but I also have interests in other
activities that are important to me besides Amateur Radio. Coupled with the
fact that I am sure that my stamina is not what it used to be, I too believe
that a 24 hour category would be interesting, and something I would probably
enjoy if available.

My recommendation to enable this approach would be to restrict the 24 hour
category to either the first 24 hours of the 48 hour contest, OR the 2nd 24
hours of the contest. Always starting at 0000Z and ending at 2400Z, like the
48 hour contest. This would have the effect of "leveling the playing field"
for the two 24 hour periods. This would also present a little "roll of the
dice" for the 24 hour category operators that might be created by changes in
propagation. It might also help to enhance the contest ending hour doldrums
by attracting more operators to the 2nd 24 hour period. The participant
could chose only one, but either of the two 24 hour periods that constitute
the total contest operating period. Operating more than 24 hours would
automatically put the participant in the 48 hour category.

I always enjoyed operating IARU, and liked it alot because I could go the 24
hour distance without a problem. This 24 hour suggestion would be almost the
same thing.

Just my thoughts! Hope to be back on the air within the next year!

73 .......... K1ZA
k1za@godfather-ridge.com