RE: [CQ-Contest] physical antenna diversity reception

To: "'Hanlon, Steve'" <SHanlon@dnr.state.md.us>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] physical antenna diversity reception
From: "Barry Merrill" <barry@mxg.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:59:12 -0600
Having two receivers with physical separate antennas,
so that one rx with one antenna (a beam) pointed
at you on the East Coast, and the other rx with
a different antenna (a vertical), so I can hear
the West Coast, which is deep in the nulls of the
beam.  With the RX output into the left/right
headphones, the brain acts as an adder to select
the best/combo of signals.

I've been using this with two separate receivers
with excellent success, and have not had any of
the "warble" due to off-freq or out of phase,
but having to tune two knobs, especially when
Searching motivated the desire for one knob.

Barry, W5GN

P.S. I have been some discussions that the
     antennas need to be wavelengths apart,
     but I think that is when you are trying
     to copy a single station and want the
     second antenna to deal with QSB and path
     differences, and wide separation is
     probably an advantage there.
     Perhaps what I'm doing would be better
     described as "directional" diversity.