Re: [CQ-Contest] physical antenna diversity reception

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] physical antenna diversity reception
From: "Dale L Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:12:06 -0600

at the risk of sounding foolish, what is physical antenna diversity reception?

-steve hanlon
KB3KAQ

When I was in the Navy ('63-67), I believe it was called "space diversity reception."

Generally, we used it most often for the RTTY fleet broadcasts that were transmitted simultaneously on different frequencies.

We'd tune two receivers (R-390's) to the same freq and, using separate antennas on each end of the ship (USS Okinawa - Amphibious Assault Ship, aka Helo carrier 600' long), we'd get better copy than by using only one antenna and receiver.

The RTTY terminal unit electronically selected the better signal.

Most of the time, though, we used "frequency diversity reception." Two receivers, each tuned to a different band, copying the same signal.

Again, the TU selected the better signal.

73,
dale, kg5u