Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton atendees - tell us about the new Yaesu

To: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton atendees - tell us about the new Yaesu
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 07:37:50 -0400

On May 17, 2004, at 10:42 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:

Man, who would want to pay $13K for a radio?  I looked at the pix and
it looks like about 40 knobs and switches on the front panel.  What do
you think probably gets used regularly, 10 or 12?  For $13K I could
get a nice radio, amp, tower and some good aluminum.  I guess it would
be good to have it just to say "I can afford it."

While I agree with the sentiment, mega-buck radios have been around for a long while. Back in the 30s, most hams had to build their own rigs, although some could spring for a commercial receiver.

In the 70s, there was the Signal/One transceiver that cost a mint. I don't think they sold many of those.

For $13K, I could buy two Orions, and still have enough money left over for a couple of K2/100s and a 100 foot tower. This new rig certainly isn't a price/performance leader.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901