Re: [CQ-Contest] Unassisted vs. Assisted vs. Self-Assisted

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Unassisted vs. Assisted vs. Self-Assisted
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 21 May 2004 12:25:21 -0500
On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 11:32, John W wrote:
>    Self-Assisted - meaning no packet or internet spotting was used to locate
> any stations or for any other reason, but software or other aids may be used
> to provide a list of valid callsigns (super-check partial, etc.), previously
> known exchanges, etc.
>
> Let the debate begin....

<grin>

Does it make a difference if the information in the database was
previously copied by you personally, or was obtained from others?

(My super-check-partial database is created strictly from my own logs;
every call in there I've copied myself off the air.  Likewise with any
exchange data.)

I would suggest the appropriate penalty is just what you've observed
these people have already suffered.  If you rely too much on databases
and not enough on your ears, you *will* lose points because people
*will* change their exchange from contest to contest.

Ironically, "unstable-from-contest-to-contest" exchanges seem more
common in NAQP and Sprint where the high rates would put a premium on
being able to rely on the databases!  (which makes these contests an
even better measure of the ability of the operators)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66