Re: [CQ-Contest] radio recommendations

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, rob.katz@thelegacycenter.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] radio recommendations
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:37:40 EDT
I realize that this is not judging by the criteria you listed, but I highly
recommend the IC-746 or its more recent version of the IC-746PRO.
I use the original IC-746 with 500 Hz filters at both IFs.  I have  never
done a side by side with other radios, but I have operated FT-1000MPs  a lot in
DX contests at K8AZ, and don't  feel seriously disadvantaged when I use the
IC-746 at home. (The  difference in antennas is another story, however  :>)  )
The IC-746 will give you a lot of other areas to try.  You  get six and two
meters.  It is small enough, and powered by 12 volts,  to let you experience
mobile operation (though I would't recommend it for a full  time mobile
installation).  It's small enough and light enough to carried  on an airplane.
It's
big enough to be comfortable to operate, and  the display is easy to see. Being
a 12 volt radio, you'll have a radio  that can be operated under emergency
conditions, e.g. power outages.
Used ones seem to be going in the $800-900 range.
73   -  Jim   K8MR