Re: [CQ-Contest] Where are the JAs in Contesting?

To: sawyered@earthlink.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Where are the JAs in Contesting?
From: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 12:04:39 -0500
This is a fascinating discussion area. I recall as a single operator in PA back in the early eighties that I worked more than 1000 JAs on 10 meters alone in one contest at the top of the sunspot cycle. The West Coast at one point could challenge the East Coast with huge JA numbers.

The JA participation certainly has dropped off. Europe has surged at the same time. The "tilt" in the edge to the East Coast is phenomenal.

Having said that, there was at least decent JA participation in this past WPX. My post contest data show the following JA QSOs:

40 meters...110
20 meters...87
15 meters...50 (all in the last 2 or 3 hours)

The JA participation on 40 is outstanding. Now I know these numbers are puny and laughable when compared with the Europeans on 40 for the East Coasters, but
there are JAs in there. I worked 110 JAs on 40 meters and only 44 Europeans on 40! Stations in W6 and W7 would have done much better than my W5 numbers to Japan.

My guestimation of the relative JA declines in contest numbers lie in the fact that housing density is so close in the large metropolitan areas of Japan. It's simply hard to get on without bothering your neighbors' electronic gadgets there. But it would be fascinating to hear from the JA contesting community. Overall, it's really unfortunate (especially for a W5) that the JA participation is a mere shadow of its former self twenty years ago. It is great that contesting participation has blossomed in Europe. These days, we will take the participation where ever we can get it!

Jim George N3BB (NT5C in the WPX CW)