Re: [CQ-Contest] What does this question mean?

To: aa4lr@arrl.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What does this question mean?
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:23:19 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/2004 9:51:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
aa4lr@arrl.net writes:

During  the recent NAQP CW, I was having fun running some stations on 40
CW.  Between callers, someone sent me a burst of CW that I didn't quite
catch.  After a couple of repeats, I believe he asked: UR RIG YAESU
FT1000xx?

To which I replied, NO ELECRAFT K2

I don't know  who asked the question, or even if I got it right. My
question is -- why  would anyone care, especially in the middle of a
contest?

Second, the guy was probably not seriously in the contest.

First, he probably thought you had key clicks, and was wondering if you  were
running one of the Yaesu rigs (1000MP / D) that have become infamous for
clicking.

I had a related experience in my short time in the NAQP.  I noted a  loud
signal, with lots of clicks, from another 4-land station. In his  posting to
3830
afterward it was interesting seeing his station listed as "2 X  FT-1000MP".

Having installed a number of the W8JI FT-1000MP key click modifications for
some local contesters, I was happy to know that I've done some good for the
world.

73  -  Jim  K8MR

Ohio QSO Party - Saturday August 28 -  Noon to Midnight  EDT