RE: [CQ-Contest] Advantages not created equal

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Advantages not created equal
From: "Kevin J. Rowett" <krowett@rowett.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:29:03 -0700
>> I lost count of how many "can you QSY to 10?" we had to turn down
>> because of
>> the counterproductive and unnecessary 10 minute rule which should be
>> rescinded.  I wish those legions of tube-radio guys would upgrade to
>> solid-state radios so we could finally bag the 10 minute rule once and
>> for
>> all.
>
>The 10 minute rule, for all of its flaws, effectively eliminates the
>use of an "Octopus" station in the competition.
>
>What other simple, enforceable rule would exile the octopus without any
>other deleterious effects?

Consider the version of the 10 minute rule now used in the California
QSO Party - Once an operator starts, that Op must remain at the transmitter
for 10 minutes.  He can do anything the station is capable of - all other
ops are restricted from transmitting.  This effectively keeps a M/S station
from having the M/M "octopus" advantage.

73, de -KR- N6RCE
CU in the Calif QSO Party Oct 2-3
http://www.cqp.org