[CQ-Contest] Desk design

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Desk design
From: "SM3WMV Mikael" <sm3wmv@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:23:41 +0000
Hello Tom & rest!

When I decided to rebuild my shack I had tried several different kind of configurations but never really been pleased with them. Since I was starting to build my SO2R station I wanted a very good configuration to make everything easy accissible, not needing to reach for anything. I also like to have the rigs on one side of the screen, the 1st rig on the left hand and 2nd on the right hand side.

I was working during the summer at a construction shop and could buy wood with quite good quality really cheap. Since I dont have a huge income because of studies I didnt want to pay for already made furnature and since I have quite good skills working with wood I thought I would custom make my "dream design".

http://sm3w.m3php.net/images/shack/shack_overview_big2.jpg

The mid part of that radio shelf is 400mm deep, just so it fits a 15" monitor (19" on that picture though) and its 600mm at each end where you have the radios. The "V-shape" was just cut out with a regular jigsaw and to make the edges look better I took a stip of wood to cover it. There are no screws at all in that furnature, cuz I am really against that. Its ok with screws that arent visible but otherwise I just drill a hole and put a plug made out of wood in the hole. And I really like having the plugs visible, so I just grind it down so its flat with the surface, it really makes it look great.

After that I just made some shelf that you can see on the pictures for rotator boxes, antenna switches etc. I really like the design because I never really need to stretch out to access anything.

It takes quite a lot of time to do this though. I spent very many hours to get the right finish on the furnature the way I wanted it. Its very important that you grind it, varnish, grind, varnish, varnish so you get a very good layer of varnish on it.

http://sm3w.m3php.net/images/shack/furnature_big.jpg

That is the shelf that holds the antenna switch boxes. You can see very clearly on that piece the plugs made out of wood used to hold everything together (and glue of course).

I dont know if you like it but I have gotten a very good feeling with it. And a nice and tidy shack really makes contesting more fun :-)

More pics and information about the station can be found at
http://sm3w.m3php.net

//Mike (SM3WMV // SM3W)