Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cheerleaders

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cheerleaders
From: KI9A@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:30:42 EST
In a message dated 11/9/04 3:08:42 PM Central Standard Time,
kenharker@kenharker.com writes:

> Perhaps one way to solve the problem, since a lot of it can be traced
> to Club Competition, or misplaced pride in one's contest club, is to
> have contest sponsors identify the cheerleaders and ban them from entering
> contest scores for some period of time after their infraction (12 months?
> Maybe with one warning?  Maybe publish the calls of those caught doing it?)
>
> This wouldn't stop all cheerleaders, but certainly for those motivated
> by improving their club's score, this would dissuade the behaviour.
> Thoughts?

There is one major flaw Ken, at what point will be "allowed" to spot someone?
Once? Twice? Once per band? How about the ARRL 10 contest, once per mode?  5
times? What?

What if I signed on with a fake call, & spotted my pal 20 times? Or, what if
didn't even enter the contest, just spotted? Can't hurt me at all by DQing me.
And how would you "punish" the spotted station, he no control over guys
spotting him.

This is a foolish topic--I only have a low antenna, maybe we can talk about
how unfair it is to me by having the guys with tall antennas compete against
me. (Just a joke by the way)

Now here is a better example of unfair advantage: What about the guy who
belongs to a large club, & lets the members know of his upcoming operating
plans,
then the club members work him--maybe on all 6 bands, but only work him &
nobody else....what about this?? I'm about ready to wring out the crying
towel....

73-Chuck KI9A