Re: [CQ-Contest] Another gratuitous SS-CW trick

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Another gratuitous SS-CW trick
From: "Steve London" <n2ic@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:30:00 -0000
An interesting discussion, with lots of divergent opinions....

Questionable practice:
1) Tuning the bands prior to the contest, and loading up your bandmap.  You
have, in essence, extended the contest period beyond what was specified by
the sponsors.

Definitely against-the-rules practice:
2) Claiming to be unassisted, but loading up your bandmap with packet spots
just prior to the contest.  You have clearly obtained assistance, which is
not allowed if you are in an unassisted category.  The fact that this
assistance was obtained before the start of the contest is irrelevant, it is
assistance nonetheless.

And yes, it DOES make a difference in the outcome.  Despite being SO2R, I
missed VY1JA in CW SS.  Never even heard him.  This probably would not have
happened if I had done 1), and definitely would not have happened if I had
done 2).  Yes, I did end up working VE8AE, but I spent hours searching and
CQing with the beam north - which I would never have done if I had worked J
early in the contest.  I'm sure that cost me a few QSOs.

As to the comments about the WRTC rules, where the competitors were not
allowed to listen or transmit before the contest, I think this is a
commendable rule.  Just because we don't have on-site referees monitoring
our operation doesn't mean we shouldn't have so-called "unenforceable"
rules.  There are many existing contest rules which fall into the same
category, which are "enforced" through honor and peer pressure.

73,
Steve, N2IC