Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Again

To: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Again
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:16:42 -0500

On Nov 23, 2004, at 10:38 PM, David Hachadorian wrote:

I think Bill understates the cost requirement. If you
are considering
a jump to SO2R, you probably have already come a long
way in building
your SO1R station.

Maybe not. Maybe there's just so much you can do with your SO1R station, and going to a second radio is the next logical step.

If your going to do SO2R, you may as
well do it correctly right off the bat.

The whole point of this thread is that no everyone can afford to do that. I'd like to do a "correct" installation, complete with stacked monobanders that I can switch between radios, but I can't afford that. So, I make do with my tribander at 15m, a vertical, and a few wires.

Sooner or later, you aregoing to end
up with an equipment configuration that looks like
this:

For me it will be much later. As I can't afford all this gear.

2nd Radio. It should be the same model as your first
radio,
but let's say you can get by with a used TS-850. -
$800

I'm using a TS-430S. It was a radio that I've had since 1985.

2nd Amplifier. It should have 160, and be reliable. You
won't be happy for long doing S&P at low power, getting beat
by the high power boys. Let's assume you can find an amp
for $1000.

I don't even have a FIRST amplifier. I do OK with the second radio, because I mainly search for strong stations to reply to.

Antenna Switch. You need an antenna switch that will
distribute
several antennas to two radios. You won't often find
these used.
Assume a new WX0B Six-Pak, or equiv. at $400.

Naw. I have a much simpler arrangement. I've got some antennas I can use with the main rig, some I can use with the second rig, and one dipole I can switch between.

W4AN had a very simple arrangement that used a couple of six-antenna selectors and six two-way selectors. New manual switches of this type would cost less than $150. A scrounger could find them for less.

Bandpass Filters. Unless you have a large amount of
real estate, with widely separated antennas, you are going to need
bandpass filters for each radio. You won't be happy switching
individual band filters every time you switch bands, so you really
do need two six-band boxes, such as the Dunestar 600's, or
equiv. - $678 for two.

One advantage of low power is that you don't need bandpass filters. I can't normally hear the main radio in the second radio.

Band decoders. You won't be happy for long, switching
the Bandpass Filters manually, so you need two band decoders, such
as the Top Ten units, or equiv. $250 for two.

No filters, no decoders needed.

Two radio controller. You can build one yourself, but
it is a pain in the neck, and won't look as good as a commercial
unit. It may not work as well either.

Built mine from parts in my junk box. Works great. Looks good.

 Bite the bullet, and buy a
commercial one,
such as the WX0B unit, or equiv. - $362
(2004 update - Top Ten unit - less expensive I think?)

Well, I did go buy one 3PDT toggle switch so I can wire up for CW SO2R. It was $6, but I'm not skilled enough with CW to be able to use it.

More antennas. Chances are you will need more antennas
to be able to
S&P and CQ on any combination of bands. Figure at least
another small
tower, tribander, and rotor. Estate sale price - $1000.

Well, I got that put up for my main radio. The second radio just uses an R7000 and a dipole.

The total of the above items is $4490.

Naw, all you need is a $500 radio and some switches.

Now, if you are an astute shopper, you may be able to
beat those
prices, but not by much.

I think I beat it by a heck of a lot!

This is the perpetual myth of SO2R -- that it requires two complete, expensive station installations plus a lot of money for switching and filtering. So, the only guys that run SO2R must have a multi-kilo-buck radio budget, right?

It just isn't so.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901