[CQ-Contest] Transmitter Problems - CQWW (160m)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Transmitter Problems - CQWW (160m)
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:59:16 +0000 (GMT)
Early in the contest I was called by K3JJG who nicely
advised me that my transmission was noisy. It was a
recurrence of the well known Icom PLL trimmer phase
noise problem (I think - I will fix it over the next
few days). I was able to swap rigs and Ed waited to
tell me all was OK. Sorry if I caused any problems to
other stations. Ed's help was greatly appreciated.

Later in the contest an unidentified station jumped on
top of a weak European I was trying to decode and said
I had major key clicks. This 'help' was not
appreciated, and I'm afraid I ignored it except to
stop using full break-in.

I don't think I have significant key clicks, but it's
very difficult to be certain. What I am sure about is
that the transmitter/amplifier/antenna switching is
properly sequenced - there is definitely no hot
switching. Listening to my own transmission with
suitable attenuation it appears clean. Various other
stations seemed to have no problem starting up a few
hundred Hz from my run frequency. Rigs are IC-765s.

I would however be grateful for critical reports
direct.

Thanks
73 Roger
VE3ZI