Re: [CQ-Contest] Be careful

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Be careful
From: "Leigh S. Jones" <kr6x@kr6x.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:43:50 -0800
I've got a suggestion that may help resolve this impass between
those who think single radio stations deserve a category of their
own and those who see them as a little bunch of whiners.

This would be to create a category for those who are forced to
do all of their contesting from truly inadequate stations.   I
basically had this conversation with a VE7 around 1974 at
the Fresno DX Convention.  It was a memorable occasion.
For me, at least.

Basically, it went like this:

"I know I'll never become a good operator.  I'll never run
more than 150 watts, and I'll never have good antennas or
a good location, geographically or topographically.  But I'm
active in many contests each year, and I believe I should have
a category in which I should be able to stand out as the clear
leader."

Well, this guy always came in second in his section behind
the well-equipped VE7CC (then VE7BDJ); I could see
where he could be unhappy with his accomplishments.  But
here in Southern California he really seemed to have a fine
signal -- in fact always pounding in -- quite a contrast to the
average contact I made in most contests.  And his scores
were always within 20-25% of the top scorers of the day.
If I remember right, he soon moved to Northern California,
joined the NCCC, got a USA issued callsign, put up bigger
antennas, bought a kilowatt, and still had lackluster scores.

In fact, I couldn't see where he had much reason to complain.
Except for the opportunities I had to join multi-operator
efforts at big stations or be a guest single operator I'd never
been as loud as he was.  I'd always wished for a home
station that would clearly perform as well as his VE7 station.

Well, here's the secret behind getting a single-radio category
for all of the single-radio afficianados.  Think bigger.

Right.  Think BIGGER (smaller).

Make the category more restrictive.  It's no use spitting into
the wind.  Rather than singling out the guys with two
transceivers available in their stations and smearing them as
cheaters or something, face reality.  You need a really
restrictive category to fit into.  Unless you invent a truly
restrictive category, you're not going to get what you want
anyway -- which is to have a category that you can really
look sharp in.  Nearly top scorer, maybe number one.

Don't just limit the category to single-radio stations.  Make
the category restrictive enough that the vast majority of
hams can be on par with the very best in class.

1) Limit the category to 100W and an all-band vertical.  No
dipoles, no wires, no beams.
2) Don't allow lattice type towers or tubular towers.  Restrict
the category to masts no higher than 20 feet, no heavier than
1-1/4 inch water pipe.
3) Place limits on the number of radials.  Two per band, max.
4) One single piece of coaxial cable, no antenna switches
allowed.
5) Disallow narrow filters -- receivers must use bandpass
filters no narrower than 2.1 KHz.  This would be known
as the Fred Laun rule.
6) What packet? Computers are out completely.
7)  Require the use of straight keys.  No bugs.  No phone.
Real contesters operate CW.
8) Flat terrain only, no hilltops, no DX, no rare sections.
9) No more than three bands may be operated.
10) No more than 12 hours operating time.

I'm sure there could be more rules.  No underground
power-lines, no experienced contesters, no headphones,
no callsigns shorter than six characters.

Finally, a level playing field!

Finally a category someone can enter with minimum
committment and investment and without complete
assurance of being clobbered!

Phase two -- automatically enter every single licensed
ham in the world.  You are automatically assured of
finishing in the top one tenth of one percent of category
entrants as soon as you have made your first contact!