[CQ-Contest] RE: Here we go again

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: Here we go again
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:02:59 +0000
At 16:32 2004-12-01, K0HB wrote:
>> ... he has anticipation of
>> seeing his score listed in the contest results...
>
>Good thing it was a CQ contest, not an ARRL contest.

Right on, Hans.....

For all the dialog on this reflector about boosting contest awareness and
participation by the "newbies" and "little guys", I'm surprised this is the
first reference to one of the biggest dis-incentives of recent years -- ARRL's
decision to scrap the line scores submitted by "the rest of us".

There is a wonderful thrill to seeing your call in print for your first few --
or few hundred -- contests, even if at or near the bottom of your section or
country listings.  The League, in its infinite ($$$$$) wisdom, took even that
small prize away from 99% of entrants.  Quite frankly, if space is *truly* an
issue and it has to be one or the other, I'd rather have the line scores than
text that duplicates the tabular Top 10 listings.

And don't give me the same tired old baloney about how you can get the full
listings on the web.  Web data has the permanence of snow in Florida.  There's
nothing like opening up a good ol' "hard copy" magazine and seeing your call in
print -- even when it's for a measly four or five QSOs.  I know -- I've been
there a lot.

Bud, W2RU