RE: [CQ-Contest] Physical conditioning and contesting

To: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Physical conditioning and contesting
From: "Bob Wanderer" <aa0cy@QUADNET.NET>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:11:02 -0500
I think HOAs are required to allow external TV antennas and
Ku-sized satellite dishes, whether they want to or not, by
FCC edict.  I know for sure the FCC forced them to allow
Ku-sized dishes.

A friend in northern Virginia lives in a HOA-controlled
townhouse where, specifically in the CC&Rs, ham antennas
(including attic-mounted), are specifically prohibited.  The
house nazis come around periodically to check that your
house is painted properly, that grass is cut, that only
tagged cars are in the parking lot, and etc.  I don't
believe, however, that they come into the house to check
things (obviously, some notice must be given--it IS your
domicile).  I think that if you follow all the logical
things (i.e. low-pass filter, etc.), you might be able to
get away with an attic dipole.  Another acquaintance in
northern NJ lives with a HOA that regulates house colors,
what type of vehicle can be parked in the streets and
driveways, how long the garage door can remain opened, etc.
What a way to live!

IMHO, HOAs are unconstitutional as they violate due process
and probably other issues.  Until we ham radio operators as
a group organize our own lobbyist [yes, the ARRL has a
representative there but I don't think it's a lobby, per se]
and the American people overall speak out, illegalities and
inequities such as this will continue.

While it is true that no one forces you to live in such a
controlled environment, the fact is that most desirable
properties (read good schools, near work and shopping, etc.)
are HOA-controlled to some extent.

When I lived in northern NJ, in a "regular" community, the
neighborhood Grundy called a meeting to push for some form
of HOA.  When I pointed out that, sure, you can then gig me
for my grass being 1/2" too tall but then I'll call the
police the minute your teenager's party is noisy past 10 PM
(and noisy is subjective).  If you have a problem, come to
me and we will try to work it out, but "gigging" will only
lead to "war."  The community decided against an
association.

73,
Bob AA0CY