[CQ-Contest] tips and tricks

To: dezrat1242@ispwest.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] tips and tricks
From: ah3c@frii.com
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:35:47 -0700 (MST)
My original post was to help give an idea to low power stations.  Some
have turned it into a SO2R defensive attack.  Tsk, tsk.  Stick with the
subject.

I should modify my earlier post to indicate that the operating techniques
are most effective in CW contests.  I consider phone contests in a
different manner.

I use QRL? during casual operating.  Contesting is different.  Take
advantage of overcoming deficiencies you are obligated to live with.
Timing can be critical to success.  Here's another one:

Study your own call sign.  Find a combination of space and weight for each
letter and listen to it over and over.  Use TR to do this.

Remember Jack, W2CTN?  He not only was the greatest QSL manager DXers will
remember, he was a great CW op.  He never sent over 25 WPM.  He always
held the "T" just a bit longer.  You didn't even have to know the whole
callsign.  Just "TN" told you who was there.

Did you hear N5OT during SS?  Mark uses this technique effectively.  I
passed across his signal and moved on every time with a warm
feeling..."way to go, Mark".

We had this discussion in the 70's when you could first pick out your
call.  Snappy calls like N6AA, N6TR, etc. are now rare to get, so you may
be stuck with the not-so-perfect call, but if you have any music
knowledge, you know how develop the "feel" of making the call attractive
to listeners.

73,
Pete
W0RTT