Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ tips and tricks - not

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ tips and tricks - not
From: "Tonno Vahk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:29:55 +0200
My view on this:

The biggest problem is always with guys who start to call CQ without any QRL or SSB equivalent. They scroll the band, find an empty spot and there they go after 3 seconds! This is very common in EU. I don't remember having that problem often with US ...or JA:))

That is not related to SO2R. That usually happens when trying to pull out a weak one who gives you his call 3 times to enable you to get it. On 40m at night it is almost impossible to RX for more than 5-6 seconds when a weak guy is answering. 59+30 CQs will be all over you literally:)

I am very sorry to say that many of the "big" guys who land on your frequency don't send QRL. There are some who send once and then start CQ-ing in a few seconds. I may not be able to answer the first QRL for two reasons:
1. I am trying to pull out a weak one and I am almost there, can't transmit myself as he is just completing the call
2. I am 0,2 KHz away and I need the second QRL from the station to tune at him to answer. In SSB this is more important.

So I think 2 times QRL should be practice! I have QRL? under F7 in TR and is one of the most used keys.

Secondly about SO2R:

When I go to RADIO B for contact and stop CQing on RADIO A then I DO LISTEN TO MY RUN FREQUENCY! I always have my left ear on RADIO A. Thus even if I am away for 2 minutes this is still my frequency and should anybody sent QRL, I will say YES to them.

So do you guys agree that the frequency is mine till anybody asks QRL (preferrably twice) and gets no answer? So if he just says that the frequency has been empty for 2 minutes and no he can take it without asking he is wrong. THAT WAS MY RX FREQUENCY.

Thus I don't see any problem in SO2R vs non-SO2R operation if only guys would be polite to ask.

I am tempted to write down those callsigns in the next contest who don't ask and put up here.

73
tonno
es5tv

----- Original Message ----- From: <jukka.klemola@nokia.com>