Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ tips and tricks - not

To: w2up@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ tips and tricks - not
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:24:14 -0800
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:44:41 -0500, Barry  wrote:

>I think it's bad advice and rude, and here's why:
>
>Let's say I'm trying to copy a weak UA9 who answered my CQ.  Fred
>comes along and does a short CQ.  A loud DL answers him.  He doesn't
>notice the weak UA9 sending his call for the third time to me, and
>doesn't hear me saying QRL on backscatter through the loud DL.  He
>makes the QSO and is ready for another call, still not knowing he
>just usurped a frequency in use.  I lost my opportunity to work the
>UA9 and now have to start saying QRL QRL or CQing in Fred's face to
>try to push him off my freq.
>
>If he did a "QRL?" or just "?" all I need to do is respond with a
>quick "R" rather than have the need to defend my frequency and lose
>the QSO in progress.  Maybe it's different on the west coast...

Point well taken, but I've used Fred's method for years (RTTY) and I
don't think that scenario has ever happened.  If someone (the original
frequency owner) jumped in with anything such as QRL, CQ or anything
at all, I would disappear quick.

The more I think about it though, the more I like the question mark,
or maybe two or three on RTTY.

I appreciate the comments.  I'll give it a try during the next
contest.

--
Bill W6WRT