Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ tips and tricks - not

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ tips and tricks - not
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:00:15 +0000
ES5TV continued from W2UP's description of what CQing on a
frequency without first asking if the frequency was in use can be like for
those already there:

I absolutely agree with Barry that plain CQ is rude and destructive.

1. Any CQ is longer than QRL or ?. It disturbes my operating much more and
believe me, in EU there are tens of stations looking for frequency on 40m at
night for example.

2. CQ could definitely return answers and that would cause me not hearing
the weak station calling and furthermore the CQ guy not hearing me answering
QSY or new CQ to him. And that has actually happened several times, really
has, I am not making it up. Especially with semi-dx stations like strong AF
or AS stations who are very loud in EU and get immidiate pile up after first
CQ. I have lost frequency like that quite a few times.

3. CQ does not explain me if the station is just checking out the frequency
or is determined to deliberately steal my frequency. Or maybe he has been on
this frequency for long and just turned the antenna to me. I don't know how
to answer him and what he expects. That again wastes time and is very
inefficient.

4. For last  - a sudden 59+20 CQ into your face on the frequency where you
have been for last 1,5 hours is very unpleasant and offending and does leave
a bad memory and impression about the station. Not at all polite.

Not to mention being something that will be against a license condition, regulation or whatever - harmful interference is specifically covered in the ITU-RR, from which the Amateur Service is defined & the hobby exists in our respective countries (even USA).

A QRL? itself can cause harmful interference, but because of the
frequency agile & casual nature of amateur communications, asking first
has become an accepted international practice.

A situation like Barry described, if recorded by the "victim" station,
would make the basis for a complaint to the relevant telecom authority
& potential DQ by the event sponsor.

I suspect there is more to K3ZO's technique in deciding whether or not
to have a go than we realize.

73, VR2BrettGraham