Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ tips and tricks - not

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ tips and tricks - not
From: "Tonno Vahk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:45:13 +0200
I absolutely agree with Barry that plain CQ is rude and destructive.

1. Any CQ is longer than QRL or ?. It disturbes my operating much more and believe me, in EU there are tens of stations looking for frequency on 40m at night for example.

2. CQ could definitely return answers and that would cause me not hearing the weak station calling and furthermore the CQ guy not hearing me answering QSY or new CQ to him. And that has actually happened several times, really has, I am not making it up. Especially with semi-dx stations like strong AF or AS stations who are very loud in EU and get immidiate pile up after first CQ. I have lost frequency like that quite a few times.

3. CQ does not explain me if the station is just checking out the frequency or is determined to deliberately steal my frequency. Or maybe he has been on this frequency for long and just turned the antenna to me. I don't know how to answer him and what he expects. That again wastes time and is very inefficient.

4. For last - a sudden 59+20 CQ into your face on the frequency where you have been for last 1,5 hours is very unpleasant and offending and does leave a bad memory and impression about the station. Not at all polite.

73
tonno
es5tv

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Turner" <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>