Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ tips and tricks - not

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ tips and tricks - not
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 25 Dec 2004 09:20:12 -0600
On Sat, 2004-12-25 at 01:22, Eric Hilding wrote:
> Umh, you mean disqualified for WASTING almost one-half hour trying to be a
> "Gentlemen"
> whilst my competitors were cranking out QSOs?  Not to mention, excessive
> wear and tear
> on the special "QRL?" external Macro button I configured *in anticipation*
> of USING IT (vs.
> simply spinning the VFO dial and Calling CQ)?  Not to mention visions of
> sitting there pushing
> the QRL? button for hours and hours ;-(
>
> I would be willing to bet that NOBODY ELSE operating as a DX station *EVER*
> went to
> such great lengths to try and avoid interfering with W/K or Euro stations
> in a "DX Contest".

What do they say about two wrongs?

Reaction I've received since my post has made it clear that "blind"
CQing is NOT standard operating procedure at contest stations.  Eric, I
know you're not the only operator who works this way - but I also know
plenty of operators (many of them VERY successful) who *don't* do this.

> You will note that I specifically stated that I "did the best I could to
> not end up zero beat
> with anyone.  Maybe you missed that part?  Just because some SO2R stations
> would
> like to have a clear 2Khz wide spot on TWO band dials, doesn't mean they
> will get it.

That may actually be *worse* than allowing yourself to zerobeat
someone.  At least if you CQ on top of the strong station you believe to
be SO2R, you're hurting the guy who (in your opinion) is doing wrong.
When you slip between them, how sure are you you aren't now zero-beat to
a low-power SO1R op?  Or an ongoing non-contest QSO?

How do you know the guy you're clobbering is SO2R?

=============================

Now, to a certain degree Eric has a point.  SO2R *has* substantially
increased pressure on run frequencies, by eliminating the need to give
up your run frequency when you go trolling for multipliers.  It *is*
frustrating to be unable to find an available run frequency.

There are a number of ways you can get around the problem:

- Go S&P.
- Pick a random frequency and begin CQing on it without listening
- Change bands.
- 14353 and 14135 are usually clear!
- Take an offtime.
- Logon to IRLP, run on 146.76.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader as to which are ethical.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66