[CQ-Contest] RE: OK,I'm sick and tired of hearing of "level playing fiel

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: OK,I'm sick and tired of hearing of "level playing field"
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:10:30 -0800

Ev ("SWL"? - No Callsign) wrote:

> BRAVO!

Shall we assume that petitions have now been filed with ALL contest sponsors to do away with High Power, Low Power and QRP categories (since these have been pseudo attempts - ERP based only with non-verification - to "Level the playing field")?

Reality Check:

1. Some Contesters will always have "Nukes" (1.5 KW to BIG stacks on BIG towers). And, there will always be "Super Powers" and Super Power "Wannabees".

2. Some Contesters will always have "Slingshots" (5w to a low wire antenna or vertical). And, there will always be poor, rural, "Third World" have-nots.

*** Updated cliche for the New Millenium: "All is *NOT* fair in Love, War, Life *or* Contesting, so get over it!"

Regarding the article, IMHO, a "level playing field" such as a football field, basketball court, etc. does *NOT* place any "handicaps" on the players. Rather, the competitive art of the game allows the "cream to rise to the top" *ON* the same level field.

A "level playing field" ain't never gonna happen with over-the-airwaves radio (poor English intended). It can very easily happen, however, in another venue. And, it *will* happen...for those who desire to play only on such a field. The technology is already here, so it's just a matter of time.

Be patient a little while longer, oh mighty "Slingshot" carrying warriors!!!

73...

Rick, K6VVA